The Detroit Land Bank Authority is an equal opportunity employer. No applicant shall be discriminated against on the basis of race, religion, color, age, gender, national origin, disability, or other criteria prohibited by the City, State or Federal law.
To qualify for a job, an applicant must meet the education, training, experience and any applicable license or certificate requirement for the job position. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide acceptable proof of their work record and history.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY
The Spatial Research Analyst will contribute to the Inventory Research and Analysis team. Through a combination of spatial and numeric data analysis, the Spatial Research Analyst will focus their efforts on creating and maintaining GIS databases, producing data visualizations with a strong emphasis on map production, and complete spatial analysis projects. The analyst will also contribute to the maintenance of the organization’s tabular data and support the development of research reports and projects that guide policymaking for the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create maps and other graphics related to spatial or tabular data
- Conduct spatial, tabular, and statistical analyses
- Design, develop and analyze spatial solutions for department and organization projects
- Develop interactive thematic maps
- Assist in the design of experiments that test opportunities to improve operations
- Review data to determine operational impacts and needed actions; evaluate programs, policies, and proposals, elevate trends areas for improvement and opportunities to management
- Assist in report development and the presentation of analysis results for decision making
- Manage projects and analyze overall project performance
- Provide analytical support for programs within the department
- Collaborate with department staff to solve spatial problems
- Perform data quality analysis and maintenance to maintain a high level of system accuracy
- Provide technical oversight for integrating new technology or new initiatives into data standards and structures
- Evaluate the design selection, implementation and support of database changes
- Monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their performance
- Determine data needs, collection methods, and establish connections for resources
- Create geographic information system (GIS) datasets
- Extract, load, model and reconcile large amounts of data across multiple platforms and sources
- Comply with all state, federal, and company guidelines, rules and regulations
- Other duties, as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Geography, Statistics, Urban Planning, Urban Informatics, Data Science, or other technical major required. Master’s Degree, preferred.
- At least five (5) years of experience in highly technical spatial and numeric data analysis in a professional or academic setting
- Experience working with, and standardizing, messy administrative data, strongly preferred.
- Experience working with cadastral data strongly preferred
- Must have a portfolio of five (5) static thematic maps that show strong cartographic design balance an attention to cartographic design and a clarity in message.
- Must have strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills required
- Strong written and oral communication skills are required
- Ability to operate standard office equipment (e.g. a personal computer, wireless equipment, copier and fax)
- Proven track record of working in a highly dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in the use of computers and software (Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook)
- Proficiency with the following software: Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook), ArcGIS, ArcPro and/or QGIS, Adobe version 10 or greater, are mandatory. Knowledge of R, Tableau, SQL, ArcGIS Online, CartoDB, MapBox, Stata, statistical analysis, and data visualization theory strongly preferred. Experience working with Salesforce database preferred.
- Strong sense of service to residents of Detroit